Usually, students are expected to write one sentence at the beginning of the year. Each sentence is supposed to contain a capital letter, punctuation, and make sense. With this project, I was asking the students to write 3 sentences. I hoped I wasn't pushing their limits.
For the project, I took pictures of pages from the story at the beginning of the story, in the middle of the story, and at the end of the story. I created an outline for the project using Google Drawings and assigned the project through Google Classroom.
Before we started the project, I gave the students a quick lesson on how to use capital letters on the keyboard and where to find the period. These skills were going to be essential in writing a sentence. I used an image of a keyboard on the projector to explain these keyboarding skills.
After our quick lesson, it was time to set the students free. I was impressed how the students rose to the high expectations that I set. They were becoming a little frustrated with spelling so I added a few key words that they needed from the story to the word wall. I usually do not help with spelling, but I thought these hints would make the task of typing less dreadful.
Below you can see an example of their project. The first image is the template that I assigned each student; the second image is a student product (notice the change in font color from the previous lesson). One of our next lessons will be the secret of how to correct spelling when the red squiggly line appears.