The students worked on the same Google Drawings document. They were excited to see how when they changed something on their screen, it also changed on their partner's screen. This was a great way for the students to share their knowledge of using the Chromebooks with others.
A few of the groups struggled with working on the same document. It was important for both students to agree on the same vision for their invention before they started working together on the collaborative document. When some of the students became frustrated with their partner, we took a quick break from the project and had a conversation about respecting one another's work.
Each group was assigned a blank Google Drawings document in Google Classroom. I had ten different groups; therefore, I had ten different assignments. I used the differentiation feature in Google Classroom to assign partners to the same assignment. When the Google Drawings document was attached, I choose the option for students to edit the file so that both of the students could work on the same document.
The plan created by the students was going to be used the next day to build the invention in Makerspace. It is amazing to see how some of the students followed the plan to build their invention. Below are a few of the plans with the finished product. The first invention is a snow machine (to be used in the summer of course), and the second invention is a toy for a child who does not have any toys.